A gland is an organ or group of cells that secretes (produces) various substances used in keeping the body functioning. Lymph nodes are often referred to as glands, particularly in the neck, but this is incorrect terminology.
*Click image to enlarge
- Thyroid gland of the neck
- Parathyroid glands of the neck
- Thymus gland located between the lungs
- Pineal gland of the brain
- Pituitary gland of the brain
- Hypothalamus of the brain
- Adrenal glands on top of the kidneys
- Pancreas, part of the digestive system
- Gastrointestinal tract of the digestive system
- Gonads: ovaries and testicles
- Exocrine glands secrete sweat, mucous, oil, saliva, proteins, enzymes, etc.
(Last modified: 22nd Oct 2014)